Financial settlements are dealt with separately to the granting of a Decree of Divorce, Judicial Separation or Civil Partnership Dissolution.

A final Financial Order cannot take effect until after Decree Nisi, Judicial Separation or Civil Partnership Dissolution but you do not have to wait until then to resolve financial issues.

The court has the power to make one or more of the following Orders:

  • Maintenance pending suit
  • Secure periodical payments
  • Lump Sum Orders
  • Property Adjustment Orders
  • An Order for Sale
  • Pension Sharing or Attachment Orders

The court can order a clean break which means to say that neither party will be dependent upon the other in the future, nor will they be able to return to the court to ask for more money. The court cannot order a clean break in respect of maintenance for children.

Please contact us to find out how we can assist you in coming to a financial settlement.